Saturday, March 21, 2015

An Acquired Taste


"For those who have an intense urge for Spirit and wisdom, it sits near them, waiting." ~Patanjali~

I see contemporary yoga as we know it as a doorway into a broader field. Many of my colleagues are not very optimistic about where yoga is heading these days, especially in America. But I am optimistic.
In the last few weeks, I decided to cut down the time devoted in my classes to inversions and arm balances, and to focus instead on basic flows and approachable postures for all levels. I began, at the end of my classes, to sneak in a few minutes of seated meditation practice, which required making my shavasana slightly shorter than the expected five minutes. I am happy to say that nobody left or complained or checked their phones while "meditating."

On the contrary, everyone has been very open and receptive to adding a few minutes of mindfulness practice to our asana practice.

That confirms three things for me:

- We are in much need of it.

- There is hope in the world of modern yoga to develop a more integrated practice of asanas and meditation. A more mindful practice of yoga.

- The end of Instagram Yoga Challenges is near.

For those who practice yoga over the long haul, sooner or later an acquired taste for its deeper teachings and benefits develops in its own rhythm.

One of my students came to me after class this week to share that he has been adding meditation to his daily morning routine and he is feeling the difference that it makes in his interactions with others and the way he feels in general. He feels great. In one of the many quotes that I read daily, I read that with the practice of meditation a warmth begins to develop, and that warmth eventually sprouts in self-love.

Isn't that a beautiful thing to know?

That we have in the palms of our hands the tools to develop self-love—a warm, compassionate attitude towards ourselves and others. That even when we are not at our best, when we feel a little left behind, a little forgotten, a little fried, we can still make peace with ourselves? That even when we approach the mat just to stretch our bodies we could also be working on ourselves from the inside out.

I think that's something worth contemplating each time we do yoga.





Adrian Molina is a yoga teacher, writer and meditation practitioner living in New York City. He developed the Warrior Flow style of yoga and teaches at Equinox fitness centers, in private sessions, and at retreats. He shares inspiration and teachings frequently on his web site Warrior Flow, his Facebook page, and his Twitter feed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Come Visit the New WarriorFlow.com

We've launched an exciting new web site for Warrior Flow. The new site is very visual and social in nature, and gives you a real fee...