Saturday, May 9, 2015

Me, Myself and I

by Adrian Molina

I remember when I was new to yoga, I took a couple of classes a week. I was (and still am at times) a bit of a control freak. I used to arrive to classes 30 minutes early just to get my favorite spot. Second row, right side, next to the wall. Super convenient and very strategic. I had a good view of my teacher. I was close enough to the windows to feel the (Miami) ocean breeze in Shavasana, and I had a wall next to me — not for inversions but as a protective device. I preferred back then to have a wall next to me rather than a person. I wasn't exactly very social back then.

The 30-minute early arrival plan worked for a few months, but one day someone had arrived at the studio earlier than me and usurped my chosen spot.

I was devastated. I felt like having a meltdown.

I realized that for a practice that encourages non-attachment I was far away from that goal.

Since then I have learned to take myself out of my comfort zone as often as I can. Intentionally.

I am okay practicing without a mat, or without blocks or without a lot of space. I don't mind having only one inch distance between my mat and someone else's. I don't mind having someone else's feet relatively close to me. If I can stretch in downward dog, I am good to go.

What I've learned over the years (and this lesson applies everywhere not only yoga) is this:

If someone asks me to move, I move. If someone asks me to share, I share. If someone wants really badly to be in front of me, so be it. I give the space. If someone comes late, I make space for them to practice even if it means that I will be less comfortable.

There's an expression: the magic begins where your comfort zone ends.

I come to class to challenge myself to grow and let go, not to perpetuate habitual patterns or reactions. That's the essence of yoga.

As a teacher I am flattered when I see my classes packed with eager students.  But I don't like to see people in my classes fighting for a space, for a mat.

People picking fights in a yoga studio because they don't get the space they want? Or they are asked to move a little to fit someone else? People cursing before a class begins because they don't get everything the way they want it? That's not what yoga is about.

Swallow your pride. And enjoy your practice.

Be the change you want to see, said Gandhi.

Lots of people on our planet don't have the luxury of taking a yoga class. Not just because there are no swanky studios or hot power vinyasa classes offered in their vicinity. Because don't have a roof over their heads or shoes on their feet.

Let go of any sense of entitlement. Let go of the mantra, "This is how it should or shouldn't be." Let go of the "me, myself and I" syndrome. Put things in perspective and be grateful for the abundance and miracles with which you are blessed, every day.

Practice kindness and compassion in the studio — especially if someone else is doing the opposite. They probably need it more than you know.

And opening your heart feels a lot better than closing it.

I promise.




Adrian Molina is a yoga teacher, writer and meditation practitioner living in New York City. He developed the Warrior Flow style of yoga and teaches at Equinox fitness centers, in private sessions, and at retreats. He shares inspiration and teachings frequently on his web site Warrior Flow, hisFacebook page, and his Twitter feed.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Come Visit the New WarriorFlow.com

We've launched an exciting new web site for Warrior Flow. The new site is very visual and social in nature, and gives you a real fee...