Saturday, August 30, 2014

Questions on “Teaching”, “Learning” and “Living”

These are some questions that I tend to ask myself frequently without ever finding any solid "answers." On the contrary, these questions are like a Zen Koan — something you ask not necessarily to find an intellectual answer but simply to bring awareness to certain topics and allow a deeper, experiential understanding to unfold.

How can I say to the students I love that the practice of yoga (which I also love) is not an ultimate goal in itself but just a doorway to another way of being?

How can I say to the students who come daily to their mats in my classes that the practice of these postures is important but there is even more important "inner" work that we must do?

What can I say to someone when I see that their ego is driving their practice and they are overly fixated on accomplishing certain physical poses and pushing their bodies to extremes?

There is nothing wrong with doing yoga just for “fitness” but once you know the tremendous potential of the practice, how can you ignore that other dimension?


How can I be compassionate towards myself and my colleagues in the yoga industry when I see us encouraging our students to practice by constantly posting amazing yoga selfies in amazing landscapes. in some cases wearing little to no clothing? Are we abusing social media to mask our own fears and insecurities?

How can I “inspire” without “over-sharing”? How can I “inspire” without “preaching”?
How can I “teach” without “imposing”? How can I “guide” without “demanding”?

How can I inspire students to move with grace, to acknowledge their limitations, to enjoy the practice without attachment to it?

How can I put in words that sometimes non-doing is more effective than doing?

How can I provide an environment that feels safe, natural, igniting curiosity and introspection while consciously working in and through the body?

How can I share with my students that the body is our vehicle but ultimately this vehicle decays with age, completing its cycle, and dissolves — and that this is perfectly natural?

How can I help my students to grow stronger in their practice while at the same time reminding them of the impermanence of their bodies and helping them see all their yogic accomplishments from this larger perspective?

How can I teach them to loosen the ego's tight grip and enjoy the flow? Is that something that can be taught? And could it be taught by someone like me, when I am just another student on the path, and constantly getting caught up in my own ego's trips?

Hmmm….






 Adrian Molina is a yoga teacher, writer and meditation practitioner living in New York City. He developed the Warrior Flow style of yoga and teaches at Equinox fitness centers, in private sessions, and at retreats. He shares inspiration and teachings frequently on his web site Warrior Flow, his Facebook page, and his Twitter feed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Come Visit the New WarriorFlow.com

We've launched an exciting new web site for Warrior Flow. The new site is very visual and social in nature, and gives you a real fee...